Calendar - 2011
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every
Thursday night starting by 8:00 p.m. in the Recreation
Building at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard. We welcome all
chessplayers to attend even if they are not going to
participate in the evening's main event. We usually
have a skittles and discussion room available when
more serious chess is being played in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship
tournament running through February and the Holiday
Party in late December.
For the most up-to-date calendar information, please see the KCC Minutes Blog.
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
- Garden State Chess League matches : DOCA Knights vs. Kenilworth Karpovs, Chess Mates vs Kenilworth Kortchnois, Summit vs Staten Island
- Register for KCC Championship beginning 1/13.
- Kenilworth CC Championship, Round 1.
21st Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, starts January 13th, 2011 at 8:20 pm
- Not rated
- 5-round Swiss
- G/90 time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:20 p.m. every Thursday night for the duration of the event.
- Prizes : Tentative: Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Top U2050, Top U1800, Top U1600, Top U1400, Biggest upset, Best Game (to be confirmed 1/7)
- Tiebreaks TBA
- EF: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $30 for most players.
- KCC memberships required: dues $7.50 for juniors U-18, $10 for seniors 65+, and $15 for all others.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 1/6 meeting or before 8:20 p.m. on 1/13 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
See 2005 Club Championship website and 2006 Championship website and the Chess Coroner blog for stories of past championships.
January 20 -Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 2
January 27 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 3
February 3 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 4
February 10 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 5 (final round)
February 17 - Garden State Chesss League matches: Kenilworth Kortchnois vs. Kenilworth Karpovs, Hamilton vs Summit
February 19-21 - World Amateur Teams and U.S. TEAM EAST, PARSIPPANY, NJ.
we had two teams
entered and won best NJ team. In 2006
, our A-Team finished a respectable 21st in a field of 272. And in 2007
, our A-Team played at Board #1 in Round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner. We keep going up and up -- maybe 2010 will be the victory year? Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event. Parsippany Hilton 1 Hilton Ct., Parsippany,N.J. 07054.
February 24 - To be announced
March 3 - Garden State Chess League: DOCA Knights vs Kenilworth Kortchnois
March 10 - Kenilworth Gauntlet, Round 1. Not rated, 4-Round KO, 2 Games per round, Players knocked out will play the remaining rounds in a swiss-paired "wild card" section, G/25+5, Rounds at 8:30 and 9:40 or ASAP from March 10-31, EF: $5, Prizes 50% to first, 30% to 2nd, 20% to 3rd (wild card winner).
March 17 - Kenilworth Gauntlet, Round 2
March 24 - Kenilworth Gauntlet, Round 3
March 31 - Kenilworth Gauntlet, Round 4 and conclusion
April 7 - Garden State Chess League match : Staten Island vs. Kenilworth Karpovs
April 14 - Irving Ellner Memorial #4, Round 1. USCF-rated, G/45, 3-SS, EF : $10, Prizes : TBA
April 21 - Irving Ellner Memorial #4, Round 2
April 28 - Irving Ellner Memorial #4, Round 3
May 5 - Garden State Chess League: Kenilworth Karpovs vs Hamilton
May 12 - Kenilworth Quads #5, Round 1, USCF Rated, G/60, 3-RR, EF $10, Prizes $30 to first in each quad.
May 19 - Kenilworth Quads, Round 2
May 26 - Kenilworth Quads, Round 3
June 2 - - Garden State Chess League: Kenilworth Kortchnois vs Hamilton
June 9 - - Start of Summer Tournament.
Please submit your entry and pay your entry fee by
this date. Here are the tentative rules of the tournament:
- Not rated
- Entry Fee is $5.00.
- The tournament will run from June 9 through August 25.
- The time control is G/60 or 55+5.
- You may play anyone in the tournament. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated player has white, in subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- You get one point for a win, one half point for a draw, and zero for a loss.
- You may play as many or as few games as you like, but no more than two in one night. The more you play the more points you can win.
- All games are to be played at the Kenilworth Chess Club during normal operating hours.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- The prizes are 60% for first place, 30% for second, and 10% for third.
June 16- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
June 23- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
June 30 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 7 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 14 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 21 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 28 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 4 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 11 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 18 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 25 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, last round
September 1 - Garden State Chess League meeting and casual play.
September 8 - Random Opening Quads. Non-rated, G/20, 3 rounds, EF: Free.
September 15 - Ruy Lopez Thematic. Non-rated, G/30, 2 rounds, EF: Free. Variation(s) & pairing format TBA.
September 22 - FM Steve Stoyko lectures on Bishop Endings. Admission $5. Not to be missed!
September 29 - Sy Fish Memorial #4, Round 1. USCF-rated, G/65 (or equivalent; exact control TBA), 5-SS, EF: $10. TD: Geoff McAuliffe (if available). Prize Fund: 90% of Entry Fees collected. Prizes: 1st place 30% of EF; 2nd place 20% of EF; 3rd place, U2050, U1750, U1525 each 10% of EF. Late-joins accepted until the 3rd round is paired. Late-joiners will receive a 1/2 point for each round missed but lose a bye-option. Two byes per player allowed. Byes may be taken in any round. Please inform the TD or Club President before that round is paired. Pairings for rounds 1-2 to be made on site. Pairings for rounds 3-5 to be made on the prior Friday. Register: On site 9/15, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6 from 8:00-10:45 p.m.
October 6 - Garden State Chess League matches.
October 13 - Sy Fish Memorial #4, Round 2
October 20 - Sy Fish Memorial #4, Round 3
October 27 - Sy Fish Memorial #4, Round 4
November 3 - Garden State Chess League matches
November 10 - Sy Fish Memorial #4, Round 5
November 17 -
NM Scott Massey lecture on former World Champion Alexander Alekhine. Admission $5.
November 24 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday.
December 1 - Garden State Chess League
December 8 - Consultation Game #7, week 1
December 15 - Consultation Game #7, week 2
December 22 - Holiday Party
December 29 - Business Meeting.
Updated 09.10.2011 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club