Calendar - 2012
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every
Thursday night starting by 8:00 p.m. in the Recreation
Building at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard. We welcome all
chessplayers to attend even if they are not going to
participate in the evening's main event. We usually
have a skittles and discussion room available when
more serious chess is being played in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship
tournament running through February and the Holiday
Party in late December.
For the most up-to-date calendar information, please see the KCC Minutes Blog. You can find past calendars online for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
- Garden State Chess League match: Kenilworth Kortchnois vs. Summit
- Register for KCC Championship beginning 1/12.
- Kenilworth CC Championship, Round 1.
22nd Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, starts January 12th at 8:20 pm
- USCF Rated
- 5-round Swiss
- G/90 time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:20 p.m. every Thursday night for the duration of the event.
- Prizes : Tentative: Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Top U2050, Top U1800, Top U1600, Top U1400, Biggest upset
- Tiebreaks TBA
- EF: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $30 for most players.
- KCC memberships required: dues $7.50 for juniors U-18, $10 for seniors 65+, and $15 for all others.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 1/5 meeting or before 8:20 p.m. on 1/12 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
See 2005 Club Championship website and 2006 Championship website and the Chess Coroner blog for stories of past championships.
January 19 -Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 2
January 26 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 3
February 2 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 4
February 9 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 5 (final round)
February 16 - Garden State Chesss League matches: Staten Island vs. Kenilworth Kortchnois and Hamilton vs Summit
February 18-20 - World Amateur Teams and U.S. TEAM EAST, PARSIPPANY, NJ.
we had two teams
entered and won best NJ team. In 2006
, our A-Team finished a respectable 21st in a field of 272. And in 2007
, our A-Team played at Board #1 in Round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner. We keep going up and up -- maybe 2010 will be the victory year? Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event. Parsippany Hilton 1 Hilton Ct., Parsippany,N.J. 07054.
February 23 - Blitz tournament -- 5 min -- all money given as prizes.
March 1 - Garden State Chess League: Chess Mates vs Summit, Karpovs vs Kortchnois, Hamilton vs Staten Island
March 8 - Kenilworth Quads #6, Round 1, USCF Rated, G/60, 3-RR, EF $10, Prizes $30 to first in each quad.
March 15 - Kenilworth Quads #6, Round 2
March 22 - Kenilworth Quads #6, Round 3
March 29 - Fischer Random Tournament, Rounds 1 & 2. 4 rounds G/30. Free to enter.
April 5 - Fischer Random Tournament, Rounds 3 & 4
April 12 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 1.
5th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial, starts April 12th at 8:20 p.m.
- USCF Rated
- 6-round Swiss
- G/75 time control
- Rounds will commence at 8:20 p.m. on April 12th, 19th, 26th and May 10th, 17th, 24th. There is no game on May 3rd!
- Entry Fee: $15
- Prizes: 1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25, Best under 1900 $20, U1500 $20.
- All prizes are guaranteed. They will be higher if there are more entries.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 3/29 and 4/5 meetings or before 8:20 p.m. on 4/12 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
April 19 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 2
April 26 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 3
May 3 - Garden State Chess League: Chess Mates vs Kenilworth Karpovs, DOCA Knights vs Summit, Hamilton vs Kortchnois
May 10 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 4
May 17 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 5
May 24 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 6
May 31 - Garden State Chess League match : Hamilton vs. Kenilworth Karpovs
June 7 - - Lecture on Alexander Alekhine - Part 2, by LM Scott Massey. The years 1927-1946 will be covered. Admission: $5
June 14- - Start of Summer Tournament.
Please submit your entry and pay your entry fee by
this date. Here are the tentative rules of the tournament:
- Not rated
- Entry Fee is $5.00.
- The tournament will run from June 9 through August 25.
- The time control is G/60 or 55+5.
- You may play anyone in the tournament. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated player has white, in subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- You get one point for a win, one half point for a draw, and zero for a loss.
- You may play as many or as few games as you like, but no more than two in one night. The more you play the more points you can win.
- All games are to be played at the Kenilworth Chess Club during normal operating hours.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- The prizes are 60% for first place, 30% for second, and 10% for third.
June 21- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
June 28- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 5 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 12 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 19 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 26 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 2 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 9 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 16 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 23 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 30 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, last round
September 6 -
Kenilworth Fall Blitz, 7-round swiss, G/5, EF $5, prizes to Canceled.
1st, 2nd, best U1800 and best U1500 (50%, 20%, 15% and 15%)
September 13 - Sy Fish Memorial #5, Round 1. USCF-rated, G/60, 5-SS,
EF: $10. TD: Geoff McAuliffe (if available). Prize Fund: 90% of Entry Fees
collected. Prizes: 1st place 30% of EF; 2nd place 20% of EF; 3rd place,
U2050, U1750, U1525 each 10% of EF. Late-joins accepted until the 3rd
round is paired. Late-joiners will receive a 1/2 point for each round missed
but lose a bye-option. Two byes per player allowed. Byes may be taken in
any round. Please inform the TD or Club President before that round is
paired. Pairings for rounds 1-2 to be made on site. Pairings for rounds 3-5
to be made on the prior Friday. Register: On site 9/13, 9/20, 9/27 from
September 20 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 2.
September 27 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 3
October 4 - Garden State Chess League matches.
October 11 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 4
October 18 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 5
October 25 - Lecture by NM Scott Massey on Rubinstein's Endings (see games collections on Rubinstein's Rook Endings and Akiba Rubinstein's Rook Endings for a possible preview). Entry: $5.
November 1 - Garden State Chess League matches
November 8 - Consultation Match Week 1
November 15 -
Consultation Match Week 2
November 22 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday.
November 29 -
Lecture by Michael Goeller (USCF 2094) on The Urusov Gambit. An great tactical treat and a good way to expand your opening repertoire. Entry: $5 includes materials for participants.
December 6 - Garden State Chess League
December 13 -
December 20 - Holiday Party and Business Meeting
December 27 - TBA
Updated 1.01.2012 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club