Calendar - 2013
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every
Thursday night starting by 8:00 p.m. in the Recreation
Building at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard. We welcome all
chessplayers to attend even if they are not going to
participate in the evening's main event. We usually
have a skittles and discussion room available when
more serious chess is being played in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship
tournament running through the month of January and the Holiday
Party in late December.
For the most up-to-date calendar information, please see the KCC Minutes Blog. You can find past calendars online for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
- Garden State Chess League matches: Hamilton-Summit and Kortchnois-Rutgers
- Register for KCC Championship beginning 1/10.
- Kenilworth CC Championship, Round 1.
23rd Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, starts January 10th at 8:20 pm
- NOT RATED
- 5-round Swiss
- G/75 with 5 second delay time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:20 p.m. every Thursday night for the duration of the event.
- 1 half-point bye per player allowed.
- Prizes : Tentative: Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Top U2000, Top U1800, Top U1600, Top U1400, Biggest upset
- Tiebreaks: 1. Head to Head, 2. Modified Median, 3. Solkoff, 4. Cumulative
- EF: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $30 for most players.
- KCC memberships required: Our dues are $7.50 for juniors U-18, $10 for seniors 65+, and $15 for all others.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 1/3 meeting or before 8:20 p.m. on 1/10 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. Late-joins accepted until round 2 is paired.
See 2005 Club Championship website and 2006 Championship website and the Chess Coroner blog for stories of past championships.
January 17 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 2
January 24 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 3
January 31 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 4
February 7 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 5
February 14 - TBA
February 16-18 - World Amateur Teams and U.S. TEAM EAST, PARSIPPANY, NJ.
In 2005 we had two teams
entered and won best NJ team. In 2006, our A-Team finished a respectable 21st in a field of 272. And in 2007, our A-Team played at Board #1 in Round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner. We keep going up and up -- maybe 2013 will be the victory year? Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event. Parsippany Hilton 1 Hilton Ct., Parsippany,N.J. 07054.
February 21 - Garden State Chess League matches: Newark-McDonalds vs. Kortchnois, Summit-Karpovs and DOCA-Rutgers
February 28 - Open play.
March 7 - Garden State Chess League matches: Karpovs-Chess Mates and Hamilton vs. Newark-McDonald's
March 14 - FM Steve Stoyko lecture on the Semi-Slav, Part 1. A $5 entance fee (members pay only once for both lectures -- see below).
March 21 - Open play -- possible club vs club match TBA
March 28 - FM Steve Stoyko lecture on the Semi-Slav, Part 2. A $5 entance fee (members pay only once for both lectures -- see below).
April 4 - Garden State Chess League match: Newark-McDonald's vs. Karpovs
April 11 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 1.
6th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial, starts April 11th at 8:30 p.m.
- 5-round Swiss
- Time Control: G/60 + 5 second per move increment.
- Rounds: 8:30 p.m. on April 11th, 8:20 p.m. on April 18th, 25th and May 9th, 16th. There is no game on May 2nd!
- Entry Fee: $10
- Prize Fund: $150 b/ 16 entries (100% of EF minus rating fee).
- Prizes: To be announced.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe before 8:20 p.m. on 4/11 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
- Late-joins accepted. 2 Byes allowed.
April 18 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 2
April 25 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 3
May 2 - Garden State Chess League matches: DOCA-Summit and Karpovs-Hamilton
May 9 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 4
May 16 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Final round
May 23 - Open date. Kortchnois-Karpovs Garden State Chess League match canceled.
May 30 - Garden State Chess League matches: Hamilton-Kortchnois
June 6 - Members' Meeting to address waning interest in our club and discuss ways to boost attendance.
June 13- Start of Summer Tournament.
Please submit your entry and pay your entry fee by
this date. Here are the tentative rules of the tournament:
- Not rated
- Entry Fee is $5.00.
- The tournament will run from June 13 through August 29.
- The time control is G/60. G/55;d5 is allowed if both players agree.
- You may play anyone in the tournament. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated player has white, in subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- You get one point for a win, one half point for a draw, and zero for a loss.
- You may play as many or as few games as you like, but no more than two in one night. The more you play the more points you can win.
- All games are to be played at the Kenilworth Chess Club during normal operating hours.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- The prizes are 60% for first place, 30% for second, and 10% for third.
June 20- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
June 27- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 4 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 11 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 18 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 25 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 1 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 8 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 15 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 22 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 29 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, last round
September 5 - Casual Play
September 12 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 1.
Tournament Details (Revised 9/8):
6th Annual Sy Fish Memorial, starts September 12th at 8:30 p.m.
- 4 or 5-round Swiss
- If there are 16 or fewer players, there will be 4 rounds. If there are 17-32 players, there will be 5 rounds.
- Time Control: G/60 + 5 second per move delay.
- Rounds: 8:30 p.m. on September 12, 19, 26 & October 10. If a 5th round is deemed necessary, it will be played on October 17th. There is no game on October 3rd!
- Entry Fee: $10
- Prize Fund: $90% of EF.
- Prizes: 1st place 30% of EF; 2nd place 20% of EF; 3rd place, U2000, U1750, U1500 each 10% of EF. 10% of EF reserved for rating fees and scoresheet purchases.
- Register with Geoff McAuliffe or John Moldovan before 8:25 p.m. on 9/12 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
- Late-joins accepted until the start of round 2. 1 bye allowed. Must declare before the end of round 3. If taking a bye, please inform the TD (Geoff or John) before the round is
September 19 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 2.
September 26 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 3.
October 3 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 4.
October 10 - G/60 Quads, Round 1
- Time Control: G/55 + 5 second per move delay.
- Rounds: 8:30 p.m. on October 10, 24 & 31. There is no game on October 17th!
- Entry Fee: $5
- Prizes: $20 to 1st place in each section.
October 17 - Lecture by International Master Yaacov Norowitz & Pizza Party. Lecture subject: "My Road To The IM Title" Admission $5. Includes pizza for everyone!
October 24 - Non-rated Quads, Round 2
October 31 - Non-rated Quads, Round 3
November 7 - Garden State Chess League match: West Orange at Kenilworth 8:20 p.m.
November 14 - Consultation Match Week 1
November 21 - Consultation Match Week 2
November 28 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday.
December 5 - Casual Play
December 12 - Lecture by Life Master Scott Massey on the Anand-Carlsen World Championship match. Admission $5
December 19 - Holiday Party and Business Meeting
December 26 - NO MEETING.
Updated 10.4.2013 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club