Calendar - 2013
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every
Thursday night starting by 8:00 p.m. in the Recreation
Building at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard. We welcome all
chessplayers to attend even if they are not going to
participate in the evening's main event. We usually
have a skittles and discussion room available when
more serious chess is being played in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship
tournament running through the month of January and the Holiday
Party in late December.
For the most up-to-date calendar information, please see the KCC Minutes Blog. You can find past calendars online for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
- Garden State Chess League matches: Hamilton-Summit and Kortchnois-Rutgers
- Register for KCC Championship beginning 1/10.
- Kenilworth CC Championship, Round 1.
23rd Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, starts January 10th at 8:20 pm
- NOT RATED
- 5-round Swiss
- G/75 with 5 second delay time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:20 p.m. every Thursday night for the duration of the event.
- 1 half-point bye per player allowed.
- Prizes : Tentative: Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Top U2000, Top U1800, Top U1600, Top U1400, Biggest upset
- Tiebreaks: 1. Head to Head, 2. Modified Median, 3. Solkoff, 4. Cumulative
- EF: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $30 for most players.
- KCC memberships required: Our dues are $7.50 for juniors U-18, $10 for seniors 65+, and $15 for all others.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe during our 1/3 meeting or before 8:20 p.m. on 1/10 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. Late-joins accepted until round 2 is paired.
See 2005 Club Championship website and 2006 Championship website and the Chess Coroner blog for stories of past championships.
January 17 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 2
January 24 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 3
January 31 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 4
February 7 - Kenilworth Chess Club Championship, Round 5
February 14 - TBA
February 16-18 - World Amateur Teams and U.S. TEAM EAST, PARSIPPANY, NJ.
In 2005 we had two teams
entered and won best NJ team. In 2006, our A-Team finished a respectable 21st in a field of 272. And in 2007, our A-Team played at Board #1 in Round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner. We keep going up and up -- maybe 2013 will be the victory year? Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event. Parsippany Hilton 1 Hilton Ct., Parsippany,N.J. 07054.
February 21 - Garden State Chess League matches: Newark-McDonalds vs. Kortchnois, Summit-Karpovs and DOCA-Rutgers
February 28 - Open play.
March 7 - Garden State Chess League matches: Karpovs-Chess Mates and Hamilton vs. Newark-McDonald's
March 14 - FM Steve Stoyko lecture on the Semi-Slav, Part 1. A $5 entance fee (members pay only once for both lectures -- see below).
March 21 - Open play -- possible club vs club match TBA
March 28 - FM Steve Stoyko lecture on the Semi-Slav, Part 2. A $5 entance fee (members pay only once for both lectures -- see below).
April 4 - Garden State Chess League match: Newark-McDonald's vs. Karpovs
April 11 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 1.
6th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial, starts April 11th at 8:30 p.m.
- 5-round Swiss
- Time Control: G/60 + 5 second per move increment.
- Rounds: 8:30 p.m. on April 11th, 8:20 p.m. on April 18th, 25th and May 9th, 16th. There is no game on May 2nd!
- Entry Fee: $10
- Prize Fund: $150 b/ 16 entries (100% of EF minus rating fee).
- Prizes: To be announced.
- Register with TD Geoff McAuliffe before 8:20 p.m. on 4/11 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
- Late-joins accepted. 2 Byes allowed.
April 18 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 2
April 25 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 3
May 2 - Garden State Chess League matches: DOCA-Summit and Karpovs-Hamilton
May 9 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Round 4
May 16 - Irving Ellner Memorial, Final round
May 23 - Open date or Kortchnois-Karpovs Garden State Chess League match
May 30 - Garden State Chess League matches: Hamilton-Kortchnois
June 6 - To be announced. If the Kortchnois-Karpovs match is not played on May 23rd, it will take place on this date.
June 13- Start of Summer Tournament.
Please submit your entry and pay your entry fee by
this date. Here are the tentative rules of the tournament:
- Not rated
- Entry Fee is $5.00.
- The tournament will run from June 13 through August 29.
- The time control is G/60. G/55;d5 is allowed if both players agree.
- You may play anyone in the tournament. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated player has white, in subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- You get one point for a win, one half point for a draw, and zero for a loss.
- You may play as many or as few games as you like, but no more than two in one night. The more you play the more points you can win.
- All games are to be played at the Kenilworth Chess Club during normal operating hours.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- The prizes are 60% for first place, 30% for second, and 10% for third.
June 20- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
June 27- Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 4 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 11 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 18 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
July 25 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 1 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 8 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 15 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 22 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament
August 29 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament, last round
September 5 -TBA
September 12 - 6th Annual Sy Fish Memorial, Round 1. USCF-rated, G/60, 5-SS,
EF: $10. TD: Geoff McAuliffe (if available). Prize Fund: 90% of Entry Fees
collected. Prizes: 1st place 30% of EF; 2nd place 20% of EF; 3rd place,
U2050, U1750, U1525 each 10% of EF. Late-joins accepted until the 3rd
round is paired. Late-joiners will receive a 1/2 point for each round missed
but lose a bye-option. Two byes per player allowed. Byes may be taken in
any round. Please inform the TD or Club President before that round is
paired. Pairings for rounds 1-2 to be made on site. Pairings for rounds 3-5
to be made on the prior Friday. Register: On site
September 19 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 2.
September 27 -Sy Fish Memorial, Round 3
October 3 - Garden State Chess League matches.
October 10 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 4
October 17 - Sy Fish Memorial, Round 5
October 24 - TBA
October 31 - TBA
November 7 - Garden State Chess League matches
November 14 - Consultation Match Week 1
November 21 -
Consultation Match Week 2
November 28 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday.
December 5 - Garden State Chess League matches
December 12 - TBA
December 19 - Holiday Party and Business Meeting
December 26 - TBA
Updated 2.28.2013 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club