Calendar - 2015
The Kenilworth Chess Club meets every Thursday night starting by 8:00 p.m. in the Recreation Building at 575 Kenilworth Boulevard, which has been our home for 43 years.
All chessplayers are welcome to attend, even if they are not going to participate in the evening's main event. We usually have a skittles and discussion room available when
there is a tournament, match or lecture in the main hall.
Highlights of the year include the Club Championship tournament, which this year will begin March 26th, the Summer Tournament, which runs June-August, and the Holiday Party in late December.
For the most up-to-date calendar information, please see the Kenilworth Chess Club Blog. You can find past calendars
online for 2005,
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug |
Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
January 1 - NO MEETING. Closed for New Year's Day.
January 8 - Non-Rated Swiss, Round 1.
- Entry Fee: Free for members, $1 for non-members.
- Time control: G/60.
- Registration closes at 8:10 p.m. The first round starts promptly at 8:20.
- Each player is entitled to one full point bye. If you are taking a bye in round 2, 3 or 4, you must notify TD Bob Sherry at least 75 hours in advance. Players can join in week 2 will a full point bye for week one.
- Prizes: None.
January 15 - Non-Rated Swiss, Round 2.
January 22 - Non-Rated Swiss, Round 3.
January 29 - Non-Rated Swiss, Round 4.
February 5 - Garden State Chess League match: Roselle at Kenilworth, 8:20 p.m.
February 12 - 5-Minute Blitz Tournament. Registration closes at 8:10. The first round starts promptly at 8:20.
February 14-16 - U.S. AMATEUR TEAM EAST at the Parsippany Hilton, 1 Hilton
Kenilworth A (FM Steve Stoyko, LM Ed Allen, LM Scott Massey, Michael Goeller and Bob Rose) won the Best NJ Team award.
the A team played at Board #1 in round 5 but lost a close match to the eventual tournament winner Beavis and Butt-Vinnik.
they went 5-1, losing only to the notorious "GGGg" that had 3 GMs and was ineligible for the USAT playoffs.
the team entered round six at 5-0 but lost to Cambridge Springers.
In 2013, Knightmare 3, featuring Stoyko, Massey, NM Praveen Balakrishnan and Dr. Ian Mangion, came within 1 move of winning it all, lost to Princeton University A and had to settle for Best NJ team award. The Kenilworth CC Niners (LM Mark Kernighan, John Moldovan, Greg Tomkovich and Dr. Geoff McAuliffe) tied for 1st among U1900 teams.
Last year, The Kenilworth CC Niners (Kernighan, Moldovan, Tomkovich, McAuliffe and Dan Komunicky) again tied for 1st among U1900 teams.
Maybe 2015 will be the victory year. Stop by to visit if you are not playing. It is a great event.
February 19 - Consultation Match, week 1.
February 26 - Two-minute tournamnt, double round robin. Registration closes 8:10 pm and first round starts promptly at 8:20. Entry free for members and $1 for non-members.
March 5 - Open play -- endgame tournament postponed.
March 12 - End-game tournament, three-round Swiss with a different endgame starting position each round. Time control G20. Registration closes 8:20 pm and first round starts promptly at 8:35 pm. Entry free for members and $1 for non-members..
March 19 - Garden State Chess League match: Newark-McDonald's at Kenilworth, 8:20 p.m.
March 26 - 24th Annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship: Round 1, 8:30 p.m.
Here are the rules of the tournament:
- 4 rounds.
- G/75 with 5 second delay time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:30 p.m. every Thursday night for the duration of the event.
- Cost: $10 entry fee + dues + $10 anti-forfeit deposit = $35 for most players.
- KCC or Westfield CC membership is required. KCC dues for 2014 are $10 for age 17 or less, $10 for those age 65+, $15 for everyone else. Kenilworth & Westfield are cross-honoring memberships in 2015.
- Register with Treasurer Geoff McAuliffe during our 3/12 and 3/19 meetings or before 8:25 p.m. on 3/26 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. Late-joins accepted until round 2 is paired.
Past Champions include LM Scott
Massey (who has won the title 12x), Rene Ray (1996), FM Steve Stoyko
(2005-2007), LM Mark Kernighan (2008), IM Yaacov Norowitz (2009), NM Arthur Macaspac
(2010, 2012), NM Ken Chieu
(2011) and NM Praveen Balakrishnan
18 players took part in last
Round by round coverage of the
tournament will be posted on the KCC Tournaments blog and/or the Chess Coroner blog.
For stories of past championships, see the 2005 Club Championship website, 2006
Championship website, the Chess Coroner blog and the KCC Tournaments blog.
April 2 - Club Championship: Round 2.
April 9 - Club Championship: Round 3.
April 16 - Club Championship: Round 4 (Final round).
April 23 - Win Within 45 Moves Or Draw Tournament: Round 1.
Here are the rules:
- Non-Rated, 3 round Swiss. Runs April 23 thru May 7.
- Time control: 45 moves in 45 minutes. No delay.
- Any game that takes more than 45 moves will be declared a draw.
- Tournament Director: Robert Sherry
- Register: On site, from 8:00 to 8:20 p.m. on April 23rd. Club members can late-join by e-mail until April 27.
- Byes: 1 bye per player allowed. If taking a bye in round 2, 3 or 4, you must inform the TD at least 48 hours in advance.
- Rounds: 8:30 p.m. on April 23, 30 & May 7.
- Entry fee: Free for club members. $1 for non-members.
April 30 - Win Within 45 Moves Or Draw Tournament: Round 2.
May 7 - GSCL Playoff match: Kenilworth vs. DOCA Knights & Win Within 45 Moves Or Draw Tournament: Round 3.
May 14 - Four round Swiss tournament over two weeks. Here are the details: Non-Rated, 4 round Swiss. Runs on May 14 and May 21. Two rounds per night. Time control: 25 minutes with a 5 second delay. Tournament Director: Robert Sherry. Register: On site, from 8:00 to 8:20 p.m. on May 14. A player can request a half-point bye for any round but only one round and that request must be made 48 hours in advance. Entry fee: Free.
May 21 - Swiss tournament, rounds 3 and 4 (see above).
May 28 - Mid-year Members Meeting.
June 4 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 1 of 13.
June 11- Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 2
June 18- Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 3
June 25- Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 4
July 2 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 5
July 9 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 6
July 16 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 7
July 23 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 8
July 30 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 9
August 6 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 10
August 13 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 11
August 20 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 12
August 27 - Kenilworth Summer Tournament: Week 13
September 3 - Garden State League Business Meeting.
September 10 - Central New Jersey 5-minute Tournament, Day 1.
September 17 - Central New Jersey 5-minute Tournament, Day 2.
September 24 - 8th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial: Round 1.
Here are the rules:
- This event will be run in two sections. The players will be seeded into the section solely based upon rating. However, if we have an odd number of players, the player in the middle will have his choice of playing in the upper section or the lower section. The format will be a round robin.
- The entry fee for members is $5 or anti-forfeit deposit of $10 (Member's choice). The entry Fee for non-members is $5
- If a player cannot make a game then he can ask his opponent to play the game at an early date. His opponent is under no obligation to accommodate the request and may claim a win by forfeit. Each forfeit costs $5. However, you cannot be charged more than the amount of your forfeit deposit which is $0 if you paid the $5 entrance fee. Therefore, if you think it is likely you are going to forfeit at least one game you are better off paying the $5 entrance fee.
- Time control: G/75;d0 or G/60;d15. Black's choice.
- Prizes per section: 1st place receives 60% of the take. 2nd place receives 40%.
- This event is not USCF-rated but USCF rules will govern play.
- The tournament begins September 24. The end-date is to be determined.
- Register: On site, from 8:00 to 8:19 p.m. on September 24th.
- Rounds: 8:20 p.m. each week.
- Byes: None.
- Tournament Director: Robert Sherry
October 1 - 8th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial: Round 2
October 8 - 8th Annual Irving Ellner Memorial: Round 3
October 15 - Garden State Chess League match: Newark-McDonald's at Kenilworth.
October 22 - Lecture By Greg Tomkovich, 8:20 p.m. Topic: Sacrifices! The admission fee is $5 for members, $6 for non-members.
October 29 - Kenilworth Fall Swiss: Round 1.
- Format: 4-SS
- Time Control: Black's choice of G/60, G/50 + 5 second delay or G/30 + 20 second delay.
- Register: 8:00-8:15 p.m. on October 29th.
- Rounds: 8:20 p.m. on October 29, November 5, 12, 19.
- Entry fee: KCC members $1, Non-members $2.
- Prizes: 1st place 60% of EF, 2nd place 40% of EF.
- Byes: One 0.75 point bye is available for any round but you must request it at least 72 hours in advance.
- This event is not USCF-rated.
- For more information, email Bob Sherry
November 5 - Kenilworth Fall Swiss: Round 2.
November 12 - Kenilworth Fall Swiss: Round 3.
November 19 - Kenilworth Fall Swiss: Round 4.
November 26 - NO MEETING. Closed for Thanksgiving.
December 3 - Garden State Chess League match: West Orange at Kenilworth.
December 10 - Consultation Game. Time Control: G/70;d5.
December 17 - Holiday Party and Business Meeting
December 24 - NO MEETING. Closed for Christmas Eve.
December 31 - NO MEETING. Closed for New Year's Eve..
Updated 10.19.2015 |
Contact The Kenilworth Chess Club